Lost. Lost in the thrill of it all

From the moment I set foot on the ground, I felt lost. Completely disoriented. Everything seemed so different here, which in itself was not unexpected. I was some 10,000 kilometers from home (this equals five times the distance to Spain and back, and anyone who ever went down that road knows it is far!).



I smelled scents that were completely unfamiliar to me. I heard sounds that I had never heard before. I saw people in all colors and shapes, but none of them looked like me. The warm temperature, mixed with a high level of humidity was simply unbearable. Covered in sweat, I sat down on the cold tiles of a Hindu temple. My head felt dizzy. The only thought that emerged from my overheated brain was: "What the hell did I get myself into?", followed by a  physical expression of slight panic through my body.

I was lost.

A night and a day have passed. My panic now gives way to scarce moments of relative calm. I am beginning to find my rhythm in the chaos and torridity of this different world. Even more, I feel actually good and in my element. And then, all of a sudden, a revelation pops into my mind. This is it. This is where I belong. At this very moment of my life. This is the place where I should spend my time now. And it feels, God knows why, so right.

I was lost. 

All this happened one year ago to the day. More precisely in Malaysia, the first South Asian country where I set foot on land. The country where I realized after three days: “I am lost”. Since then, I have been searching my way in this part of the continent that intrigues me so much. Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, and Singapore. They all remain a mystery to me, although a corner of the veil has been lifted.

I have seen amazing places (as well as extremely disappointing ones), I have met inspiring  people (but also very annoying ones), I have developed new passions (and unjustly neglected old ones), I have enriched my soul (and impoverished my bank account), I have made friends (and had to leave them behind).

What will bring a new travel year? More of the same, more different things.

I am lost.

Even beautiful songs don’t last long: Lost – Frank Ocean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arw17vDiL_4

0 reacties:

0 reacties:

 

5 reasons to get the newsletter

1. you don't need to surf to this website
2. it's free
3. your personal details are safe
4. you know first about all the new adventures
5. you don't like, unscribe with just 1 click

@NoMadBelgian on Instagram